Broyhill Furniutre provides us with some simple details to look for when shopping for furniture... helping you separate the “bad” from the “good.” You’ll be happy to know Broyhill® delivers on every detail. Click here to see the entire collection of beautiful Broyhill Furniture.
Wood Furniture Shopping
Look for these details when shopping for wood furniture.
- Multi-Step Finish- For the best preservation and protection look for a rich, even finish. A multi-step finish maximizes the beauty and durability of the wood surface while enhancing color, depth and clarity.
- Long-Lasting Hardware- Ask if the hardware is coated to ensure it retains its luster and beauty.
- Secure Backing- Many manufacturers use staples to connect the backs to the main frame. Staples often come loose, weakening the furniture. Backing that will remain intact over time is secured with screws and has corner block.
- Safety Tested- Furniture taller than 30 inches can tip over. Make sure furniture you are considering has passed industry standard testing to ensure safety against tipping.
- No-Snag Drawers- Inspect the inside of each drawer to make sure they are smoothly finished on every side and bottom to ensure contents are safe from snags.
- Dovetail Drawers- Look for drawers with dovetail construction. Dovetail construction is stronger, more durable and allows for more space inside than other joining method
- Smooth Gliding Drawers- Make sure drawers open and close smoothly. There are multiple types of high quality glide systems. Metal side glides with ballbearings and waxed, wood-on-wood glides both ensure smooth gliding over time. Make sure they use internal stops so drawers don’t pull out too far.
- Sturdy Framing- Check the framing of the case by taking out a drawer. Inspect the inside to make sure it is framed with cut-to-fit wood. Sealing the bottom with a panel adds extra stability.
Upholstered Furniture Shopping
Look for these details when shopping for upholstered furniture.
- Sturdy Frame- For maximum strength and durability, insist on an interlocking wood frame instead of nailed plywood
- Comfortable Back Cushions- For long lasting comfort, make sure cushions have multiple compartments to keep the fiber evenly distributed and securely in place. Tight tailored backs should be constructed with a solid layer of foam topped with fiber.
- Durable Fabric- Check to see if the fabric meets or exceeds furniture industry standards.
- Detailed Fit and Tailoring- Make sure the fabric around the corners of the cushions are smooth.
- Long Lasting Seat Cushions- Make sure cushions and tight tailored seats are comfortable, supportive and made of a material like soybased foam. Cushions that incorporate coil technology, like Broyhill’s DuraCoil™ shown above, are even longer lasting.
- No-Sag Springs- Ask if the springs are at least 8.5 gauge steel and if they are connected to solid hardwood rails. If they’re attached to plywood, they might sag, warp or twist.
- Sustainability Practices- Choose furniture that uses environmentally-friendly products like SFI certified lumber, soy-based foam and recycled steel.